PhD thesis: Evolutionary Agent-Based
Policy Analysis in Dynamic Environments
An interdisciplinary research project that used
evolutionary methods to model and possibly regulate
social economic interaction. [files]
Masters's thesis: The Paradox of Overfitting
Overfitting is a serious problem in machine learning.
The thesis is an empirical comparision of a simple and an advanced version of
Minimum Description Length (MDL) to Cross Validation (CV). We find that CV
is always as good as MDL in preventing overfitting, and somtimes
significantly better. [files]
Peer reviewed articles
Vision and Robotics
- Volker Nannen, Gabriel Oliver,
Optimal Number of Image Keypoints for Real Time Visual Odometry
IFAC Workshop on Navigation, Guidance & Control of Underwater Vehicles, NGCUV 2012, 2012.
- Mario Prats ea,
Reconfigurable AUV for intervention missions: a case study on underwater object recovery
Intelligent Service Robotics 5 (10), pp. 19–31, 2012.
- Volker Nannen, Jeroen C.J.M. van den Bergh and A.E. Eiben,
Impact of environmental dynamics on economic evolution: A stylized agent-based policy analysis,
Technological Forecasting and Social Change 80 (2), pp. 329–350, 2013.
- Volker Nannen and J.C.J.M. van den Bergh,
Policy Instruments for Evolution of Bounded Rationality: Application to Climate–Energy Problems,
Technological Forecasting and Social Change 77 (1), pp. 76–93, 2010.
Calibration of Evolutionary Algorithm Parameters
- Volker Nannen, S. K. Smit, and A. E. Eiben, Costs and Benefits of Tuning Parameters of Evolutionary Algorithms,
Proceedings of the 20th Conference on Parallel Problem Solving from Nature (PPSN), pp. 528–538, 2008. [publisher, pdf]
- Volker Nannen and A. E. Eiben, Efficient Relevance Estimation and Value Calibration of Evolutionary Algorithm Parameters,
Proceedings of the IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC), pp. 103–110, 2007. [publisher, pdf]
- W. A. de Landgraaf, A. E. Eiben and V. Nannen, Parameter Calibration using Meta-Algorithms,
Proceedings of the IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC), pp. 71–78, 2007. [publisher, pdf]
- Volker Nannen and A.E. Eiben, Relevance Estimation and Value Calibration of Evolutionary Algorithm Parameters,
Proceedings of the Joint International Conference for Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), pp. 975–980, 2007. [publisher, pdf]
- Volker Nannen and A.E. Eiben, Generality of Results obtained by the Parameter Calibration and Relevance Estimation Method,
Proceedings of the Workshop on Empirical Methods for the Analysis of Algorithms (EMAA), in conjunction with the International Conference on Parallel Problem Solving From Nature (PPSN), Reykjavik, 2006.
- Volker Nannen and A.E. Eiben, A Method for Parameter Calibration and Relevance Estimation in Evolutionary Processes,
Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO), pp. 183–190, 2006. [publisher, pdf]
Reports and presentations
Entropy and Complexity of Naive Patternmatching
An example of the use of entropy for the calculation of the complexity
of an algorithm.
Nominal Comparatives in Type-Logical Semantics
Improved quantification of quantifiers in type-logical semantics
and an attempt to find a recursive interpretation of
Bidirectional Optimality Theory
Given a simple expression, how can speaker and hearer agree
on the intended change of context?
Presentation on pseudo-strategic forms in game theorie
Multi Agent Systems
Presentation on common knowledge in real time communication systems
Powerspectra met behulp van de parametrische methode (Dutch)
Evaluatie van de voor- en nadelen van het berekenen van powerspectra
via de parametrische methode